When you’re first dipping your toe into the world of crystals, rocks, and stones, it can seem overwhelming. Which ones are right for your particular needs? How do you know if you are making the right choice? When choosing crystals, I always recommend you go with your gut feelings. If you’re feeling drawn to a particular stone or color of stone, that means you need it!
Here are nine stones (in no particular order) that I recommend for beginners because they meet a variety of common needs:
9. Black Tourmaline: When you’re undergoing a spiritual journey, it’s important to stay grounded and connected to your physical self and earth. I highly recommend you carry a piece of black tourmaline in your right pocket, as this powerful stone protects against negative energies of all kinds. This is a great stone to keep with you during meditation, and it helps to remove negativity, self-doubt, and anxiety that can otherwise throw a wrench in your day. Putting it underneath your pillow helps to protect you while you sleep, and giving them to your kiddos before school allows them to stay grounded and focused throughout the day.
8. Clear Quartz: Quartz crystals are the most common type of crystals in the world, but they are anything but ordinary. All quartz crystals have a high vibration, but clear quartz stands out for its high amplifying qualities, allowing it to amplify both your energy and the energies of other crystals. Clear quartz is known as the ‘master healer’ thanks to its ability to absorb and neutralize negative energies. This is a great stone for any beginner’s toolkit, helping to connect you to spirit and the higher chakras.
7. Rose Quartz: The crystal of unconditional love, rose quartz emits a powerful feminine energy. Carrying rose quartz will not only benefit your personal relationships, but it will help you tap into the self-love you have been looking for. This stone resonates with the heart chakra and allows you to finally heal those emotional wounds, let go of fear, and find compassion for others and yourself. Rose quartz is best worn on the body, close to the heart.
6. Amethyst: Another member of the quartz family, amethyst is a meditative and calming stone which helps to bring balance and peace to your life. This is a perfect one to carry along with you during meditation as it can help you reach a higher level of consciousness. It was even known in ancient times as the sobriety stone for its special virtue of preventing drunkenness and overindulgence in vices such as drinking and smoking. Amethyst is great for increasing psychic abilities as well as lucid dreaming.
5. Citrine: The ‘stone of success’, citrine is associated with abundance, manifestation, and personal power. This stone has a joyful, bright energy and is said to carry the power of the sun. Citrine resonates with the solar plexus chakra and is especially beneficial for people who work in sales, education, or any of the healing arts. This is one of a few stones that can ground and dissipate negative energy without holding onto it, so it does not ever need to be cleansed. Carrying a citrine can help you gain confidence and protects against those who would wish you harm.
4. Lapis Lazuli: A beautiful blue stone, lapis lazuli has been one of the most sought-after stones throughout history. This stone resonates with the third eye chakra and brings about a vibration of truth and enlightenment. Lapis lazuli is known to relieve anger and frustration, intensify intuition and psychic abilities, and activate your pineal gland. It resonates with the energy of your inner king or queen and helps you to balance the masculine and feminine aspects of your personality. Not to mention, it makes gorgeous jewelry!
3. Hematite: Hematite is a perfect grounding and protection stone, but it is so much more than that. This stone helps to stimulate the mind and is associated with enhanced memory and deep thought. It can help you gain self-confidence, self-esteem, and even improved willpower. As a grounding stone that resonates with the root chakra, hematite also helps with relieving physical pain. As a protection stone, hematite can help you guard your aura while you are tapped into your higher chakras.
2. Carnelian: The ‘stone of action’, carnelian carries a bold, masculine energy that is associated with the sacral chakra. This bright orange stone helps to accelerate motivation, aids the physical body and especially blood, and helps you to finally start on that new path in life. Carnelian is also known for stimulating sexual energies, and also resonates with the root and solar plexus chakras. Its energy inspires confidence, courage, and creativity.
1. Selenite: With its beautiful pearlescent appearance and soft, fragile texture, selenite is a unique high-vibration stone that will help you connect with the spirit and angel realms. This stone directly effects your emotional and spiritual states as it brings light down from the higher realms to cleanse your aura, open your chakras, and amplify psychic abilities. You can use selenite while meditating to ease anxiety or stress. Just be sure to keep it dry, as it will dissolve in water!
There you have it! Remember, trust your gut when choosing crystals for yourself and others. Crystals and stones are a great addition to your spiritual journey. Good luck, and have fun!